Friday, May 16, 2014

Raw Vegan Sloppy Joes

Raw Vegan Sloppy Joes

So the other night we were watching a movie and in one scene they were eating Sloppy Joes.  My mind suddenly went to food and I blurted out I NEED TO CREATE A RAW VEGAN SLOPPY JOE!  Mark didn't miss a beat and said "YES!!"

Let me back up.  When I was a kid I loved Sloppy Joes!  But not the meat part, just the sauce.  While my mom was making the packaged sauce (I don't know how I ate that crap), I would sneak in and taste it by the spoonful before she added the meat.  So fast forward to the other night.  As soon as I seen them eating SJ's my taste buds went off - big time. The next day I put on my Raw Vegan Mad Scientist Coat (apron) and into the garden (kitchen) I went to turn another old school dish into a healthy raw & vegan one.

I've included sort of a step by step photos and at the end is the recipe.  I'll admit that it was very difficult to take a decent photo of the SJ's without it looking like meat, which it's not, but trust me when I say that the flavor will burst in your mouth!


Walnut and Mushroom Mixture

I used walnuts and baby portobello mushrooms for the base mix and pulse processed to semi little bits.


Fresh Tomato Paste Mixture

The tomato mixture is processed until it resembles tomato paste, but tastes much better!

Tomato Paste Mixture with added Veggies

Little bits of veggies were then added.  The flavor was absolutely bursting in my mouth!

Both mixes combined

After adding the tomato veggie mixture to the walnut shroom mix, I scooped a big spoonful and took a bite.  BAM!  Oh yes, it is seriously that good! 

Veggie Joes!

I happened to have made a new flatbread recipe a few days ago, so I served my raw vegan SJ's on my new bread.  Perfect!  I haven't had time to post the recipe for my new flatbread and while I could have done that first, I was just too super excited about my SJ's! 

Speaking of my SJ'S, lets move on to the recipe.  Just to note that I'm writing it out in steps, so all the ingredients are in each step of this simple recipe.

Raw Vegan Sloppy Joes
This makes a big batch - I'll measure next time.

Step 1
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes
2 medjool dates (or dates of choice)

Soak in fresh water together for approximately 20-30 minutes.  Set aside - these will be used in Step 3.

Step 2
2 1/2 cups baby portobellos - roughly chopped
1 cup walnuts (soaked & dehydrated, but not necessary)
1 tsp Braggs or Tamari
1/8 tsp chili powder

In food processor, pulse process to semi-bits - but not too small as you don't want this mushy.  Put in large bowl and set aside.

Step 3
2 medium size tomatoes - quartered
1 garlic clove - chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper - roughly chopped
1/4 cup celery - roughly chopped
sundried tomatoes & medjool dates from Step 1 - drained

Put in food processor and process well, until it resembles tomato paste.  Leave in the processor and follow next step.

Step 4
1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
1/4 tsp heaping ancho chili powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder

Add to the tomato paste mix in food processor and pulse a few times to combine.

Step 5
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1 large garlic clove - minced

Add veggies to the tomato mix and pulse process briefly just to combine.

Step 6
Add the tomato veggie mix to the walnut shroom bowl and stir to combine. 

Serve on bread or buns of your choice.  For lunch I had leftovers on romaine lettuce - delish!  Store in fridge.  Best enjoyed the day of making it and will keep for one extra day.

Enjoy!

Peace☮
Rocki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind thanks for your comment! ☮Rocki