Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Raw Eggplant Spinach Zucchini Rolls with Sunflower Seed Pate

Raw Vegan Meal

Last Sunday we had lazy morning planned before going on an afternoon outing.  Well, for me that meant playing with food.

I was originally going to make another variation of my raw lasagna, but then my mind started to roll.  Literally ;)  I told Mark my idea and he said it sounded yummy!  So I went with it.

These triple layer rolls of goodness goes like this: 1st layer - marinated eggplant topped with my sunflower seed pate and shredded carrots then rolled. 2nd layer - spinach leaves topped with my hemp ricotta style "cheese" and wrapped around the eggplant roll. 3rd layer - zucchini lasagna noodles topped with more sunflower seed pate and snugly wrapped around the spinach leaves. 

Yum. 

There are a few steps to this and I meant to take pictures of them, but... so I'll just break down each step of my recipe with the ingredients needed.  It's not an all day prep, but do allow yourself a little time.

Eggplant Spinach Zucchini Rolls with Sunflower Seed Pate
makes approximately 12 rolls - pending size of veggies

Step 1 - Eggplant Marinade

1 eggplant - thinly sliced. I used my mandolin at about 1/8" - set aside.

Marinade:
1 Tbs each: apple cider vinegar, braggs amino acids, agave
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Stir well to combine.  Place the sliced eggplant in a Ziploc bag or large pan/dish and pour the marinade over them.  It will appear that there is not enough, but the juice from the eggplant will develop while marinating.  Try to coat each slice with marinade and double stack the eggplant so they can mingle.  Marinate approximately 60 minutes while preparing the remaining ingredients.

note: I got 12 slices from the eggplant I used, but please take into account that veggie sizes vary.  If yours is very large then you'll need to adjust the amount of marinade 

Step 2 Hemp Ricotta Style "Cheese"

1/2 cup heaping hemp heart seeds + 2 Tbs
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp Herbs de Provence
1/4 cup water

In blender, blend all ingredients.  You may need to stop blender and work down ingredients.  It will look similar to ricotta cheese.  Due to blenders vary, adjust the water as needed, but you don't want it watery.  Put in small bowl and into fridge while preparing next step.  This will also thicken it up more.

Step 3 - Sunflower Seed Pate

1/2 cup heaping sunflower seeds (soaked and dehydrated, but not necessary)
1/2 cup hemp heart seeds
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove - minced
1 tsp Herbs de Provence
1 tsp basil (fresh would be best, but I was out)
fresh Rosemary sprigs - approximately 1-2 inches
1/8 tsp sea salt

In food processor add the sunflower and hemp seeds and process until you have little bits, almost flour like.  Add in the remaining ingredients and process until well combined.  Divide into 2 small bowls, cover and set aside while preparing the next step.

Step 4 - Shredded Carrots, Zucchini and Spinach Leaves

2 large carrots - shredded.  I used my food processor with the shredder attachment to make it easy, but however you wish is fine.  Put in bowl and set aside.

1 long large zucchini - sliced thin.  I used my mandolin at about 1/8".  Have an extra zucchini on hand just in case.

Spinach Leaves - as many as you need, grab a handful and set them aside

Step 5 - time to rock and roll

Remove the marinated eggplant from the dish and onto a paper towel lined tray or cutting board.  Place another paper towel over them and pat dry.  You don't want them wet and juicy.

Have at least 2 trays to work with: a large one for rolling up the different veggie layers with and the other to place them on.  I used 3 trays - I tend to spread out.  Also give yourself enough room and set out all the ingredients in working order.  Here we go...

1st layer: take a marinated eggplant slice and roughly spread with sunflower pate - you don't need to cover it completely or be neat and perfect.  Make sure to get a little dab at both ends so it will seal close.  Top with shredded carrots and roll up snug.

2nd layer: take 1 large spinach leaf (depends on size of leaf, but you want it to wrap around so use 2 if needed) add some hemp ricotta "cheese" on it and wrapped it around the eggplant roll.

3rd layer: take a zucchini lasagna noodle, roughly spread with a little pate, again at the ends, and snugly wrapped around the spinach leaves.

Now repeat until done.  I had a little bit of the mixtures left over, but not much, so I made a few extra zucchini rolls with it. 

Oh and I double wrapped a few of the rolls with the zucchini, but the rest I only used one as I like how they look with the spinach - more colorful.

You can serve these immediately or chill in fridge for a couple hours and then enjoy.

Peace☮
Rocki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind thanks for your comment! ☮Rocki